About Me

My photo
Well I am a happy fun loving person. Easy to get on with. Love to be kept busy and I have all sorts of interests as you can see by my hobbies.

Wednesday 31 August 2011

3 months sisterlocks

Well, well, well 3 months.  Seems like just the other day I was sitting in the chair in my consultants house making this big change and now it is three months.  Doesn't time fly.

How's it been?  Well my hair has changed every month as you can see by my previous pictures.  Although sometimes I wonder if it is doing anything at all!!!  I have had no major problems at all slight itching but nothing drastic.  I have continued to spritz with water for three months - ok occasionally I spray a little of gylcerine and rosewater (introduced to me by my lovely friend Naomi) but only a couple of times.  I have not greased my scalp or spray anything else on my hair.  Can you imagine the state it would have been if I had been putting oils and stuff on my hair -  remember no water apart from the daily spritz has touched this head.

At my last retightening I thought yeah I am going to be able to enjoy the luxury of water runnimg through my hair, washing away two months of sweat and grime, leaving me with sweet smelling hair...OK dream on until the next retightening.  No I was told No still too soft wait.  Oh OK whatever you say - dirt never killed nobody!!!!  Well actually you know my hair doesn't smell, it doesn't look dirty no one would know water hasn't touched it.  My hair looks good.

YES MY HAIR LOOKS GOOD I AM SAYING THAT - no self doubt walk with confidence.  I listened to a blog on YouTube and this fellow sisterlocker was giving some tips on styling short hair and at the end of listing certain vital points the last point was WALK WITH CONFIDENCE IF YOU DONT HAVE CONFIDENCE NONE OF THESE TIPS ARE OF ANY USE.  She is so right I thought as I now this really relates to me.

Self Doubt

Why am I so unsure about my hair now? I wasn't before when I had the relaxer and the it was thin and lifeless I was never so critical but now its like I am looking for constant reassurance that my hair is looking good.  If you look at my hair my immediate reaction is "What's wrong with my hair"?   My little niece bless her greeted me the other day and immediately her eyes wondered to my hair.  What was my reaction "What's wrong with my hair" her mother said nothing your hair looks nice.  On the other hand if you don't make a comment I think "It don't look right they didn't say anything"...  If someone does compliment I search their face to see if they are telling the truth or I give a surprised "Thank you".  Even my consultant said my hair was looking cute.  So what is the problem I have been asking myself?  You know the answer - just years of miseducation, years of thinking my natural hair was no good, years of thinking perms; relaxers, braids, weaves were the only solution to having a good hairstyle that's what it is.  All I need to be now is to be reeducated!! Do I like my hair?  YES I LOVE MY HAIR it is just taking a bit of getting use to....but I am getting there when I am getting bored I twist it up at night and hey presto new hair in the morning!!!

Hey guess what head bands don't look too bad anymore...








3 comments:

  1. Wow your hair is really changing, for the better of course. I also did not wash my hair for months at the beginning. Enjoy each milestone whilst you are there as once it's gone it's gone. Kittylocks x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your hair looks great! I was hesitant about my first wash too, but it will be good when you can do it! The whole process is eye opening, anad I hope you enjoy every moment, because you will look up and be thinking about how to keep your locks from getting in your eyes, then your mouth, and you will have a whole new set of experiences! LOL, I am currently going through the locks dangling in my mouth stage! :)

    ReplyDelete